Rampage Fall to OKC, 3-2

By: San Antonio Rampage Media Relations
03/23/2013 9:20 PM -

Box Score | Game Notes

SAN ANTONIO  (March 23, 2013) – The San Antonio Rampage (27-28-1-6) struck twice in the first period but ultimately could not hold off the Oklahoma City Barons (30-23-2-7), as the visitors skated away with a 3-2 victory Saturday night at the AT&T Center in front on 8,341 fans.

John McFarland tallied his third goal in as many games, while Dov Grumet-Morris stopped 30 of 33 shots, but three unanswered goals by the Barons sunk the Rampage. San Antonio finished the 12-game season series against the Barons with a 4-6-0-2 record.

Seven of the last eight Rampage games have been decided by one goal, with San Antonio owning a 3-3-0-2 record in that span.

The Rampage struck first at 6:34 of the first period thanks to a bang-bang passing play. Jack Combs brought the puck into the offensive zone down the middle and found Evan Barlow down the left wing. Barlow corralled the pass and fired it through the middle to rookie Jared Gomes, who smashed the puck into the net.

All three players who contributed to the goal are on point scoring streaks. Barlow is now on a four-game streak (one goal, three assists), while Gomes (one goal, three assists) and Combs (two goals, two assists) are on three-game streaks.

McFarland extended the Rampage lead to 2-0 when he lit the lamp at 11:56 of the opening frame. The rookie winger banged home a pass at the top of the crease from Scott Timmins. Jed Ortmeyer also collected an assist on the goal.

The Barons made it a one-goal game with a goal at 4:43 of the second period with an extra attacker on the ice due to a delayed penalty being called on the Rampage. Grumet-Morris made the initial save, but the rebound found the stick of Taylor Fedun, who slid the puck under the pad of the Rampage netminder.

Oklahoma City tied the game at 2-2 heading into the third period thanks to a tally from Philippe Cornet at 14:58 while on the power play. Going into the third period tied wasn’t necessarily a bad thing for the Rampage, as the club owned a 13-2-0-1 record when tied after 40 minutes entering the game.

Tony Rajala tallied the Barons’ second power-play goal of the night at 8:58 of the third period to give Oklahoma City a 3-2 lead. Rajala charged down the left wing with a full head of steam and faked a shot to freeze Grumet-Morris before depositing the puck into the net from a sharp angle.

The Rampage had their third power-play opportunity of the game with 59 seconds remaining, which allowed San Antonio to pull their goalie to have a 6-on-4 advantage. But they were unable to solve Barons netminder Yann Danis with the two-man advantage.

San Antonio failed to cash in on the power play for only the fourth time in the last 14 games, as the Rampage went 0-for-3 with the man advantage. Oklahoma City went 2-for-3 on the power play and outshot the Rampage, 33-18.

The Rampage continue their homestand tomorrow (Sunday) with a 4:30 p.m. tilt against the Rochester Americans at AT&T Center. Tickets for remaining Rampage home games start at $10 can be purchased at the AT&T Center Southeast Box Office, by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or online at sarampage.com.

@@block(4000, 0, content)@@