Admirals sneak by Rampage in Shootout, 3-2



Box Score

Returning to action for the first time following the 2010 American Hockey League All-Star break, the San Antonio Rampage fell to the visiting Milwaukee Admirals by a 3-2 score, in a shootout, on Saturday night in front of 6,336 fans at the AT&T Center.
Hosting their 6th annual Salute to the Badges Night, the Rampage donned special uniforms to honor local firefighters and law enforcement officials that were auctioned off following the game, with proceeds benefitting the Alamo Area Fire and Police Memorial (AAFPM).
San Antonio defenseman Stu Bickel provided the Rampage with an early lead at the 2:01 mark of the first. After winning a faceoff in the left circle of Milwaukee’s zone, San Antonio center Gavin Morgan won the draw back to left wing Stefan Meyer. Meyer then deflected the puck back to Bickel on the right point, where the defenseman fired a low wrist shot under Milwaukee netminder Chet Pickard’s glove.
The Admirals tied the contest at the 9:08 mark of the second frame on a questionable power-play goal by defenseman Alex Sulzer, who was returned to Milwaukee earlier in the day by the NHL’s Nashville Predators.
After being struck in the helmet by a Milwaukee shot that disrupted the positioning of his protective head gear, Rampage netminder Josh Tordjman vacated the crease and attempted to draw a whistle by tossing his helmet to the ice. Simultaneously, Milwaukee right wing Hugh Jessiman nabbed the loose puck near the right faceoff dot and sent a pass back to defenseman Alexander Sulzer on the left point. Sulzer then fired a high slap shot into the upper right corner of the vacated net. Nonetheless the goal stood and the game was tied a 1-1.
Seeking to reclaim the lead early in the final frame, the Rampage received their wish at the 3:16 mark of the third when Meyer worked a give-and-go with San Antonio right wing Matt Watkins in the right corner of the Milwaukee zone before skating behind the net and connecting on a one-timer with Morgan in the slot to provide San Antonio with a 2-1 lead.
With 2:12 remaining in regulation, Milwaukee center Wacey Rabbit powered his way through two San Antonio defensemen inside the Rampage blueline before beating Tordjman with a slap shot off the inside of the right post to tie the contest at two goals apiece and force overtime.
In overtime, Rampage center Kyle Turris was robbed by Pickard on a wrist shot from the right faceoff circle as San Antonio outshot Milwaukee by a 3-2 margin in a scoreless extra session that forced San Antonio’s third shootout of the season.
In the eight-round shootout, Milwaukee edged San Antonio, 4-3, with Admirals center Colin Wilson netting the shootout winner.
Tordjman turned away 38 of 40 Milwaukee shots in the loss, while Pickard stopped 28 of 30 San Antonio shots in the Admirals’ victory.
San Antonio and Milwaukee will reconvene for a 3 p.m. matchup on Sunday at the AT&T Center.

Search Archive »

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
Blackmon Mooring
@@block(4000, 0, content)@@